ZOPF Twisted Swiss Bread (Brioche style))
“Zopf” is a Sunday favourite for many Swiss families. Around the country all Bakeries (including) Farmhouses prepare this Sunday morning “stable”.
With its sweet and buttery flavour and aroma it goes well with marmalade, jams, honey and as well with cold cuts, cheese and smoked salmon. The Zopf’s keeping qualities are being extended due to the addition of butter. It’s golden brown crust is achieved due to brushing it twice with egg wash before baking.
A perfect “present” for Mother’s Day. A buttery, sweet bread which will make your Mother, Grand-mother smile – guaranteed.
Hint: prepare / bake it on Saturday evening – the house will take on the beautiful buttery and sweet taste….waking up to this on Sunday morning is heavenly!
Here is my Recipe with step-by-step instructions. Have a go – the reward is amazing!
Makes a loaf of 1 KG
Preparation time 60 minutes | Baking time 30-35 minutes ………..
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
270 ML Milk full cream
8.5 GR Yeast dry (fresh Yeast = 25 GR)
10 GR Sugar white
80 GR Butter unsalted
55 GR Eggs whole
10 GR Salt cooking
540 GR Flour plain, white (type 550)
30 GR Egg for egg wash
Mise en place / Pre-Preparation
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in milk
- Melt butter to lukewarm (35 C max.)
- Sieve flour
- Add lukewarm butter to the yeast, sugar and milk mixture
- Add eggs and salt
- Put flour into a mixing bowl, add the liquid and knead by hand to an elastic dough (approximately for 10 minutes)
- Let the dough rise (prove) twice in volume in a covered bowl at a warm place (approximately 20-30 minutes / ideal temperature of the dough 24-27 C)
- Then knead the dough again quickly together (this will improve the activity of the yeast (fermentation))
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces and roll (by hand) to equal long and thick strings
- Braid the 3 dough strings to a twist (plaited loaf – Zopf)
- Place on a baking tray lined out with baking paper
- Let rise / prove again for approximately 10 minutes
- Before baking brush with egg wash twice
- Bake (in a preheated conventional oven) by 220 C for 10 minutes, then for another 20 minutes by 180 C
Remarks / Comments:
-When you make / bake “Zopf” the whole house smells very nice – makes your mouth watering….
-Perfect Sunday morning bread – e.g. Mother’s Day
-Goes well with butter and marmalades, honey, jams etc. as well with cold cuts, cheese, smoked salmon, etc.
-Best eaten freshly baked – slightly warm…..
-Properly stored (covered with a clove) stays moist and tasty for a few days
Chef and Guide Dog User Martin