Fried Chicken (Baked)
This is one of our family favourites! Whenever we grave for “Fried” Chicken I prepare this one. A full flavoured crispy and crunchy “Fried” Chicken recipe. Basically it is “Fried” Chicken without actually frying it! But, still having the crispy and crunchy feel of a “Fried” Chicken. By not – completely submerged in oil – deep frying the chicken you automatically have prepared a healthier meal for you and your family! In addition your kitchen will be less messy and no smelly “frying oil” odours hanging around your home. The secret of this fabulous “Fried” Chicken dish is the marinade. Adding flavours and aromas which you will later enjoy! Take your time in pre-preparing and marinating your Chicken pieces. Then properly crumb the Chicken pieces and bake (fry) in the oven till golden brown and crispy (see below recipe for more details).
Here is my Recipe with step-by-step instructions. Have a go – the reward is amazing!
Quantity 4-5 Port (1 whole chicken)
Time Preparation time: 35 min. | Marinating time: 45-60 min. (best overnight) | Cooking time: 60-65 min.
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
1.3 KG Chicken (free range) whole
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
40 ML Olive Oil extra virgin
15 ML Lemon juice fresh / ¼ lemon zest
5 PC Black peppercorns crushed
2 PINCH Cayenne Pepper ground
2 GR Chili powder red
3 GR Paprika powder (sweet)
2 PINCH Cloves powder
2 GR Sage ground
5 GR Coriander ground
10 ML Dijon mustard (yellow)
10 ML Honey liquid
10 GR Rosemary fresh (finely chopped)
5 GR Thyme fresh (finely chopped)
5 PC Garlic cloves crushed
As needed Seas salt flakes
As needed White pepper from Peppermill
150 GR Flour white plain
3 PC Eggs whole
250 GR Bread crumbs (fine)
10 GR Oregano leaves dry
150 ML Cooking oil (Canola)
Mise en place / Pre-Preparation
- Cut out back bone of the chicken. Then cut into 6 pieces (legs x 2, breast w/ wings x 2 and breast w/ bones x 2) (keep skin intact) – if unsure ask your butcher to do it for you or alternatively you can use chicken leg and thigh (w/ bones) only.
- Prepare marinade by adding all ingredients into a bowl, mix well
- Put chicken pieces into a container, cover with marinade (rub in with hands)
- Cover and set aside (refrigerator) for at least 35-60 minutes (best overnight)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- Take out marinated chicken (by now the marinade should be absorbed by the chicken pieces)
- Season (salt and pepper) chicken pieces and crumb them by flouring (ensure that all areas are covered) tap off excessive flour, then put through beaten eggs – strain off excessive egg, crumb with breadcrumb and oregano mixture (ensure that all areas are covered) and press crumbs firmly onto the chicken pieces, set aside
- Place baking tray into the preheated oven till hot. add cooking oil, wait till hot
- Then carefully add the chicken pieces and bake (“fry”) in the preheated oven for 30 minutes (till golden brown and crispy), then turn pieces over and bake (“fry”) for another 30 minutes (till the chicken pieces are cooked – legs will take a few minutes longer than the breast pieces)
- Drain off with kitchen paper, place on a wire rack to rest for 10-15 minutes
- Serve and Enjoy!
Remarks / Comments:
-This is an old time “family” favourite, especially when you grave for “fried” chicken
-Best served with some coleslaw, chips and a cold beer!
Chef and Guide Dog User