Clafoutis with Strawberry and White Chocolate drops
Spring has sprung and here is a great way to use Strawberries in a delicious baked dessert called Clafoutis.
Clafoutis is a baked French Dessert of fruit (traditionally with black cherries) arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter. Once baked, the Clafoutis is dusted with icing sugar and served lukewarm.
Clafoutis can be made with a variety of fruits like raspberries, plums, apricots, apples, pears, cherries, etc….
My Clafoutis recipe (with Strawberries and White Chocolate drops) is a definite crowd – pleaser. Best served lukewarm with some whipped or clotted cream. Serve it as a dessert or / and as a high tea (afternoon coffee, tea and cakes) item.
Here is my (step-by-step) recipe:
Makes 12 pc (standard muffin mould size)
Time Preparation time: 15 minutes minutes | Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
60 g Almond meal
60 g Hazelnut meal
30 g Cornflour
200 g Caster sugar
1 pinch Sea salt flakes
4 pc Eggs whole
2 pc Egg yolks
60 ml Cream
60 g Butter unsalted, melted and cooled
10 pc Strawberries fresh, washed and cut into 1/4
24 pc White chocolate drops
Some Icing sugar, to dust
MISE EN PLACE | PREPARATION:
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (conventional – top / bottom heat)
2. Combine the almond & hazelnut meal, cornflour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well.
3. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a separate bowl.
4. Continue whisking while you add the cream and melted butter.
5. Gradually add the nut meal mixture, whisking constantly until thoroughly combined.
6. Lightly butter a muffin mould tray (12 pc)
7. Divide the strawberry and white chocolate pieces evenly between the moulds.
8. Ladle the batter over the strawberries, filling to near the top of the dishes.
9. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the batter is no longer sticky when tested with a skewer or knife.
10. Allow the clafoutis to cool slightly, take out of moulds, then dust with icing sugar
REMARKS | COMMENTS | SUGGESTIONS:
-Use cherries (pitted) instead of strawberries
-Serve with vanilla ice-cream or / and with whipped cream
Chef & Guide Dog User Martin