Chicken & Legumes Casserole with Chestnuts
Winter is here! The perfect time to indulge into heart warming foods such as “Casseroles“. A casserole (French – from Provençal cassa “pan”) is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving dish.
For this months recipe I have chosen a Chicken (drumstick) and Legumes (a mix of lentils, peas, chickpeas, etc…) casserole. A very tasty and full flavoured casserole with an enriching and fulfilling aroma waring up your belly! Legumes are also referred to as pulses which are the dried seed of legumes. Legumes are high in protein and are a perfect source of energy (legumes can replace animal proteins – meat, dairy etc…).
Adding caramelised pieces of chestnuts on top gives this casserole another dimension of flavour, aroma and texture. You can replace the chestnuts with potatoes or pumpkins. PS: you can get fresh chestnuts from your grocer – they are in season now!
Just follow my recipe (see below) with step-by-step instructions. Enjoy and happy cooking!
This Recipe makes: 4 – 5 Portions
Preparation time: 30 – 40 minutes | Cooking time: 60-70 minutes
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
8 PC Chicken legs (drumsticks)
As needed Sea salt flakes (Maldon)
As needed White pepper ground
10 GR Paprika powder sweet
30 ML Olive oil cooking
10 GR Butter cooking unsalted
40 GR Onions white, peeled, finely cubed
2 PC Garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
5 GR Parsley flat stem, finely chopped
40 GR Carrots, peeled, finely cubed
20 GR Celery finely cubed
40 GR Speck cut into small cubes (keep the rind for later)
30 GR Leek, finely cubed
40 GR Kale fresh, finely sliced
½ PC Tomato fresh, cubed
5 ML Lemon juice fresh
5 GR Tomato paste
250 ML Red wine
400 ML Chicken stock
300 GR Legumes mixed (soaked in water for 6-8 hours)
1 PC Bay leaf
1 PC Clove
30 GR Marjoram fresh, finely chopped
20 GR Thyme fresh, finely chopped
20 GR Rosemary fresh, finely chopped
10 ML Vinegar white wine
15 ML Olive oil extra virgin
As needed Seas salt flakes (Maldon)
As needed Black pepper ground
120 GR Chestnuts, fresh
30 GR Sugar
MISE EN PLACE | PREPARATION:
- Soak legumes in cold water for approximately 6-8 hours
- Season chicken legs (drumsticks) with sea salt flakes, white pepper ground and sweet paprika powder
- Sautéing (browning) in hot olive oil (cooking) on all sides, take out and set aside, drain off excessive oil.
- Add cooking butter in same pot (casserole), add all vegetables except legumes, tomato, leek and kale. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper, sautéing till translucent, deglaze with some red wine, reduce to a glaze, add leek and kale, continue sautéing, add tomato paste, keep on stirring (browning), deglaze with rest of red wine, reduce to a glaze, add tomato, add well drained off legumes, continue sautéing, drizzle with lemon juice, add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add all herbs, bay leaf and clove, stir well, then place (add) chicken legs and bring to a simmer. Add vinegar and olive oil (extra virgin). Cover with lid and braise in the oven for 60-70 minutes at 180C (till legumes are soft / chicken is cooked)
- In the meanwhile, cut a cross into each chestnut and boil / simmer in salt water for approximately 10-15 minutes, drain off and peel (best when hot).
- Let cool down and crumble them up between your fingers. Make a caramel by placing the sugar into a flat sautéing pan (with a drizzle of lemon juice), then add the chestnut pieces, caramelise (toss around in the pan) and add some water, simmer till liquid has evaporated (chestnut pieces are soft and have a nice caramel / brown – yellow colour.
- Sprinkle chestnut pieces onto the casserole (once cooked) and serve up in the casserole (family style)
REMARKS | COMMENTS | SUGGESTIONS:
-Chestnuts can be replaced by potatoes or / and pumpkins
-A great “Winter” casserole for the whole family to enjoy
-Cooked and served up in the same pot (casserole)
Chef & Guide Dog User Martin