Cheese Toast – “Croute au fromage”
Cheese toast is a very common dish / item on Cafe’s Menus. Sadly in most cases you will get a sorry looking, dry and inside cold cheese toast. My version of a cheese toast is designed to satisfy all these cravings. Melted bubbling cheese, hot and moist inside with tasty creamed mushrooms and sliced Parma ham topped with a fried egg to round it all up. A perfect dish / addition to your Sunday Brunch. Very easy to make – I make this at leats once or twice a month, using up scraps / left overs from the fridge.
Traditionally this dish “Croute au fromage” is served during winter time as it is very rich / heavy. Cheese replaces the meat (protein) completely. Also a great dish to serve to your family on one of the busy working week days – meatless dinner! Serve it with a fresh and crisp garden salad.
Try out my Recipe – see below step-by-step instruction.
Here is what you need:
Quantity 1 Port | Preparation time 15 minutes | Cooking time 5 minutes ………..
QUANTITY UNIT PRODUCE
2 slice Sourdough bread (rustic)
80 GR Parma ham thinly sliced
100 GR Mushrooms button fresh, sliced
10 GR Butter unsalted
10 GR Onions white finely chopped
5 GR Garlic finely chopped
20 ML White wine cooking
50 ML Cream cooking
5 GR Parsley Italian fresh finely chopped
As needed Sea salt flakes / Black pepper mill
20 GR Cornichons (pickled baby cucumbers)
120 GR Emmental (Swiss) cheese sliced (thin slices)
1 PC Egg whole
10 GR Butter unsalted
As needed Sea Salt flakes, Black pepper mill
Mise en place / Pre-Preparation
– Toast sourdough slices golden brown in toaster, place on a plate and set aside
– Heat up sautéing pan, add butter, chopped onions and glaze till translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper and sautéing for 2-3 minutes. Add the finely chopped garlic and keep on sautéing for another 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine, reduce to a glaze, add cream, reduce till thick, add chopped parsley, and check for seasoning, set aside
– Cover toasted sourdough bread slices with Parma ham and set under the grill (pre-heated oven – function – grill) for approx. 2-3 minutes or thill the Parma ham has slightly crisped up
– Pour creamed mushrooms over the toasted bread and Parma ham, spread out evenly.
– Then put out cornichons evenly, covering it with sliced Swiss cheese (ensure everything is covered with the cheese.
– Put under the grill till the cheese is golden brown and bubbling
– Heat up sautéing pan, add butter, season butter with salt, crack egg open on top of melted butter and fry for approx. 2-3 minutes.
– Take toast out of the grill, top with fried egg and sprinkle with black pepper mill.
Remarks / Comments:
- – Goes very well with a Gewürztraminer and / or a Riesling Spaetlese
- – Sourdough bread can be replaced by any other bread e>g. toast bread, Vienna bread etc.…
- – Parma ham can be replaced by bacon, ham, pastrami etic…
- – If desired you can add slices of tomatoes before topping with the sliced cheese
- Swiss Emmental cheese can be replaced by Comte (French), Gruyere (Swiss) or Racelette (Siss) cheese
Enjoy and Bon Appetite!
Martin – Chef and Guide Dog User